Saturday, May 18, 2013

Healthy Ice Cream - Strawberry, Cashew or Chocolate Flavor?

I'm still munching on healthy snacks this may and this time it was ice cream time.
I looked up healthy ice cream recipes and found a one-ingredient ice cream only made from bananas! This was intriguing to try as it was totally healthy and I get to have my snack and fruit serving in the same time, win-win!

So the whole process is easy and it can be mixed up with different flavors, with one base of course - bananas. Therefore, I decided to have mine chocolate flavored, my sis wanted strawberry ice cream and my friend wanted his plain with cashews chops.

Ingredients
For 3 servings, each with a different flavor
  • 6 medium bananas
  • 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons liquid unsweetened milk (I went for unsweetened rice milk)
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 6 frozen strawberries
  • 8 raw unsalted cashews
Instructions
Chop bananas into coins and freeze
those little babies

Banana ice cream base
  • Start by chopping all the bananas into small coins and freeze them for few hours (I froze mine for 5 hours).
  • When your bananas are frozen, toss the 6 of them into your food processor, add 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract, add 4 tablespoons of rice milk and blend till you get a smooth creamy texture. This should probably take just a few minutes!
    >> Now we have our ice cream base which I divided into 3, given that we each wanted a different flavor.

Cashew chops with plain
banana ice cream

For a plain ice cream with cashew chops
  • Slightly grind the cashews into tiny chops.
  • Mix them with 1 banana ice cream serving.
    * Any kind of nut/nut butter can be mixed with the banana ice cream: cashew, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, coconut flakes/chops - You name it! 
Strawberry banana flavor

For a strawberry flavored ice cream
  • Get 6 fresh strawberries, wash, chop and freeze them for 2-3 hours.
  • Once frozen, blend them pretty well with your base banana ice cream and garnish with some fresh strawberries.
    * Any kind of fruit can be tossed in here as well! Raspberry, blackberries, mango, kiwi, lemon, apricots - I mean summer is here and the fruit season is about to bloom.
And my favorite, chocolate!

For a chocolate flavored ice cream
  • Mix the plain banana ice cream with 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and that's it! This was my favorite by the way!
    * You can also mix your base with instant coffee powder or cinnamon as well.
And after preparing your flavored banana ice cream >> Freeze for few hours till solid. All flavors are easy, healthy and icy - perfect for a summer treat!




4 comments:

  1. i'm trying this soon :D:D

    one question : 4 tbspn of prouder milk or liquid ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy! the chocolate flavored one is so good! The milk is in the liquid form. I fixed it you're right, I didn't notice this one since rice milk is always in the liquid form.

      Delete
  2. Yummy!!!
    I will try this for sure..I just love chocolate & carving to have this.
    Thanks for sharing:)

    Best
    Stella
    YoMyGoodness

    ReplyDelete