Monday, October 14, 2013

Creamy Chocolate Mousse Pie for our Happy 3-Year Blog-aversay!


It's our blog's 3rd year anniversary today! And what better way than to celebrate this day with some luscious creamy chocolate mousse!

I'm a huge advocate of real whole food - the less processed crap, the better. In the same time, I try to avoid meats and dairy as much as I can, more like what a flexitarian would do. So you see, it's kind of hard not to fall in love with plant-powered cook books. Therefore, I recently got a new book by Dreena Burton called "Let them eat Vegan!". Now you might say how creative one can be with recipes based on plant food sources only, something my colleagues consistently nag about, but long story short, it is one of the most delicious cookbooks I have ever added to my library! Dreena has some surprisingly good gluten-free /meat-free/ dairy-free/ refined sugar-free deliciousness in this cook book and boy can't I wait to try her recipes one after the other! You don't really have to be a 100% vegan to actually enjoy the her recipes; you just have to have a sense of adventure, be open to uncommon food combinations and to let go of all the meats, dairy and refined sugar one meal at a time.

Anyhoo, given that I am a chocolate fan, I picked the Raw Chocolate Dream Mousse Pie (page 245) to celebrate my 3rd year blog-aversay. It was good a choice. A really good one.

Ingredients

For the nutty crunchy crust
  • Almonds, raw - 1 cup
  • Walnuts, raw - 3/4 cup
  • Dates, pitted - 3/4 cup
  • Cocoa powder, raw and unsweetened - 2 tbsp
  • Salt - 1/4 tsp
  • Nutmeg, freshly ground - 1/4 tsp
  • Vanilla, pure extract - 1/2 tsp

For the smooth yum creamy filling
  • Avocados, ripe - 1 cup (equivalent to 1.5-2 medium avocados, they're in season now so go for it)
  • Cashew, raw and soaked one day ahead - 1/2 cup
  • Nut/ Rice milk - 1/2 cup
  • Dates, pitted - 1/2 cup
  • Honey/agave syrup - 1/4 cup
  • Cocoa powder, raw and unsweetened - 1/3 cup
  • Vanilla, pure extract - 1 tsp
  • Salt - 1/8 tsp

Method of preparation



For the crust, it all depends on your food processor. My mom's processor is huge and heavy duty so I pulsed all the ingredients together. However, if your food processor is a small cuty pie, start with pulsing the almonds into a fine crumbly texture and then add the rest of the ingredients. Keep on pulsing till you get a sticky mixture. You might need to stop once in a while to scrape the ingredients down and if the mixture does not hold together when pressed with your fingers, you might want to add in a date or two.
After getting the crumbly texture you desire, you can transfer the crust to a pie plate or small cups (you know, for portion control and because I'm messy when cutting pie). You gotta press them lightly with your fingers to get them to stick together, exactly like what you'd do to any kind of crust. Don't worry, they'll stick together just fine!



For the creamy mousse, place all the ingredients in the food processor and puree on a medium-high speed until you get a creamy texture. I had to stop, scrape down the puree and mix it up several times before I got the creamy texture I wanted.

After all was pulsed, I just poured the filling into my cups (or your pie plate) over the crusts. This recipe yielded 8 cups (servings) of creamy chocolate mousse pie, so I placed half in the fridge and half in the freezer for couple of hours, just to know which gave a tastier texture. My sister loved the fridge version while I adored the icy texture from the freezer, so turns out, both are just as good! I topped mine with pomegranates but you can add some fresh strawberries, kiwi, orange zest, cinnamon, cocoa powder, chili, mint, coconut flakes... whatever taste you crave for with chocolate!




So, it turned out to be a happy delicious creamy [of course chocolatey]
3-year Blog-aversary! 


No comments:

Post a Comment